Missions of California Educational Projects
HomespacerMission KitsspacerDIY KitsspacerAccessoriesspacerAdvanced Mission TipsspacerEducator Site

San Buenaventura


San Buenaventura
Kit includes precision-cut, foam-core parts, a short history of the mission and complete assembly instructions. White glue and decorating materials are required.


Father Junipero Serra christened his final mission on Easter Sunday, March 31, 1782. The 9th mission, San Buenaventura featured an unusual triangular design and was the only mission to use wooden bells.

By 1816, the compound housed 1328 Chumash Indians. A 7-mile aqueduct provided irrigation that made San Buenaventura famous for its agriculture.

The original church, destroyed by fire in 1794, was replaced by a stone building that suffered earthquake damage 18 years later. Victorian remodeling in 1893 left almost nothing of the old church, but it was restored by Father Aubrey O'Reilly in 1957 and remains an active Catholic Parish.


HomespacerMission KitsspacerDIY KitsspacerAccessoriesspacerAdvanced Mission TipsspacerEducator Site